Sunday, April 10, 2011

West 10th & D

My latest etching of "Parking lots that were once my homes"...

This was at West 10th and D Street - We lived here the year the first Dividends went out and sat mesmerized in front of the TV when MTV first came on the air.  The church owned the house next door and ours - we did not attend... my parents were Unitarians but didn't make us go.  Someone left an old three speed bike in the garage and they told my Dad I could have it... freedom!  I rode all over - trying to keep in touch with friends in the old neighborhood, but they weren't as accepting of me now that I lived else-where.  It helped widen our world though and I made other friends and the old ones realized there were other neighborhoods to play in and explore.

Journey, Pat Benatar, The Police, J. Giles Band, Blondie etc were popular and this was the year I started buying records.  I bought a turntable at a garage sale and inherited an old boombox someone didn't want any more.  I remember begging to watch The Blue Lagoon on TV...

I walk part of the same route to work every day that I once walked on the way to Capital School - 5th grade.  I hated walking after a while and would beg my Dad to drive me... I don't think it ever worked.  Now I enjoy the exercise and love to look at the scenery that has changed very little since those days... houses are different colors and cars are modern but not much else is new on Calhoun.

1 comment:

Julie Bates said...

It looks like I forgot to post this one... I was wondering where it was:)